After a search that stretched for months, reports are out today that Microsoft will select internal candidate Satya Nadella as its next CEO. Nadella is known for his work with cloud computing at Microsoft and deep technical knowledge.
The company kicked off its hunt for a new head last year when long-time CEO Steve Ballmer announced that he would step down within a year. Nadella has long been a candidate for the role. If Microsoft does select him to replace Ballmer, it won’t be surprising.
During the CEO dance, candidates from companies as far-flung as Ford were discussed. Internal candidates rose and fell, including the company’s soon to return former executive Stephen Elop.
According to Bloomberg’s Emily Chang, the company’s founder and long-time chairman of its board could be replaced. The replacing of Gates would be more than symbolic. His stature on the board has caused some to fret that he could hold back a new CEO, exerting outsized influence as shareholder and former CEO.
Microsoft declined to comment.
Top Image Credit: Flickr
- Microsoft Wants Students To Give Office A Try, Gives Them Up To 6 Free Months Of Office 365, 20GB Of Extra SkyDrive Storage
- If It Gets Them, Google May Open .Search, .App, .Blog And .Cloud gTLDs To The Public
- Google Acquires Web Application Server Talaria To Enhance Its Cloud Platform
- Dear Microsoft, Samsung Isn't Very Happy With You
- Apple's Low-Cost iPhone Reportedly Getting The Same 4-Inch Display As iPhone 5, ‘Super-Thin' Plastic Case